Friday, January 14, 2005

Thoughts for the Day (Robots Beware)

I never imagined I would feel this upset over the Slifkin incident. Perhaps it is just the straw that broke the camel's back. Now that the internet is here, and here to stay, don't people realize that whatever they say or publish will be critiqued by the entire world. Don't rabbanim realize that whatever they do or say can now be viewed by Jews all over the world and that if they do something wrong, they'll be caught?
Furthermore, based upon this: (from the Yated's "online" version)
"To this letter HaRav Elya Ber Wachtfogel, rosh yeshiva of Yeshivas South Fallsberg, adds, "And he also writes that Chazal Hakedoshim can err chas vesholom in worldly matters chas vesholom and therefore [they can err] in halochoh as well chas vesholom, as he wrongly proves from maseches Horayos—all nonsense!"
We must now stop teaching our children that the world is round, Chazal said the world is flat, and therefore it's flat. In addition, Rav Wachtfogel infers that Chazal can not err, if so, why is there a special korban chattas that is brought when a Rav does err?

I've had enough. I honestly never took these things seriously, and I never really took the gedolim seriously either, knowing that politics is always the first thing that decides a p'sak. But when will we, as a community, say enough?

7 comments:

M-n said...

"But when will we, as a community, say enough?"

Never. The community laps this stuff up. You're on the fringe, marginalized due to your outlook being based on information discovered after 2000 years ago.

PsychoToddler said...

The fact that you're even on the internet makes you an apikores already in some circles. I think some of the Rabbonim are so isolated in their little communities that they really don't know and don't care how they are perceived by the world at large.

If they knew what a Chillul Hashem they were making with these proclamations, I think we'd see less of them.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand all of you. So you don't believe in anything the gedolim say. You mock them. You call their views narishkeit.

Now, if you refused to keep the Torah, if you threw away everything, I could understand you, at least to some extent. But you dare to call yourselves practicing Jews (I care not what label you put on yourselves: MO, Yeshivish, what have you) and yet you don't follow the Rabbanim?

Tell me, then. Answer me this. Why on earth do you believe in the Torah, or at least in anything beyond Tanach itself? If Hashem does not want us to turn to our Gedolim for guidance, then why do you practice that which hundreds of gedolim of previous generations enacted, if the tikkunim are, in your opinion, based merely on "politics"? Or has the "corruption", that you are so convinced exists, hit the Chachamim only in the past fifty years?

In other words, it's all or nothing. All that we do is based on the gedolim of past and present. If you reject the gedolim on one issue, you reject everything they've said; you question their validity as poskim.

So why do you still follow the Torah?

Me said...

The gedolim are not the Torah. I follow the Torah.
Do you honestly not see anything fishy in the way this cherem was issued? Be honest. It's much easier for me to have emunah knowing that no matter how great a gadol is, he's still human.
What will happen to your emunah when a mistake is found and you suddenly have no answer?

DovBear said...

I like what I am reading. It isn't DovBear but it'll do.

PsychoToddler said...

Now you're going straight to Hell...

Me said...

Dov, as long as I don't post politics. Once I do, you probably won't like what I'm reading.